Food Safety in the Hospitality Industry
Food safety should be a number one priority for all food and beverage outlets, no matter the size or scale. In order to keep guests or staff safe when storing, preparing or serving food, clearly defined food safety principles must be upheld onsite and to the highest standards. Food and safety courses are designed to ensure that any supervisor or manager responsible for food safety has the most up-to-date knowledge and insights in order to implement and maintain exceptional food safety standards in their workplace.
When standards disappear or don’t exist
Without clearly defined food safety standards in the workplace, things like food poisoning may occur. Food poisoning is an illness which occurs when food contaminated with harmful bacteria or toxins is digested. Parasites, chemicals and viruses can also be to blame. Examples of how to prevent food poisoning include:
- Start with personal hygiene. Wash your hands before and after you prepare food as well as before you eat food and after you have visited the toilet.
- Don’t cross-contaminate your chopping boards or utensils. Keep items separate and wash with an anti-bacterial soap after use in hot water. Dry properly before storing.
- Don’t refreeze thawed food or reheat food more than once.
- Store your cold food below 5 degrees Celsius and hot food above 65 degrees Celsius.
- Cook your food correctly and at the correct temperature. Bacteria are killed above 74 degrees Celsius.
- These may seem simple enough operating procedures to consider, but if your team are not trained to understand how to correctly store, control, issue, handle and prepare food, you may end up with a food poisoning incident at work. Not only is that bad for the person who becomes ill, but it also leads to complaints and investigations.
By implementing a well thought out food safety plan and training staff regularly on these standards, food safety in your workplace will become the priority it deserves to be.
For your hospitality disposable wear – contact Pinnacle PPE for the best prices and professional service.